substitute for cure #2
Saltpeter/potassium nitrateSKU: 6
Saltpeter / potassium nitrate is used as a preservative to prevent color loss in meat. It is converted into nitrite inside of your sausage. You can view it as a 'time-released' form of nitrite. It is therefore suitable for thicker dry sausages that dry slowly, mostly from the southern European type such as cacciatore, salame, fuet, chorizo and 'nduja.
- Also known as E252
- in sausage making always use in combination with nitrite salt, never alone.
- In combination with nitrite salt it has the same effect as instacure # 2 or prague powder # 2.
- Pay attention to the dosage. You need very little: 0.3 grams (three-tenth!) per kilo of meat
- now in handy small sprinkler
- Please read up on the safety aspects of making dried sausages and charcuterie. It is not difficult, but just messing around a bit is not without risk.