Ascorbic acid, or vitamin C, is an antioxidant. It ensures that the red-coloring effect of nitrite is enhanced. This works very quickly in cooked sausages and somewhat slower in dried sausages. It also counteracts the rancidity of fat and the (slightly) carcinogenic nitrosamine formation of nitrite and nitrate is prevented.
- Also known as E300
- Dosage: 0.5-1 gram per kilogram of meat (0.05-0.1 %%).
- Content 100 grams, enough for up to 100 kilos of sausages
- Now in handy small resealable packaging
- Can also be used as an additive in processed meats or pâtés
- Note: ascorbic acid and nitrite produce a chemical reaction in water. This gives a chlorine-like odor and the effect of both is eliminated. Do not combine nitrite salt / salvianda with ascorbic acid, but add one after the other.